1st SAL.....Peg, Dale and I committed to stitching Anni Downs - A Gardener's Journal in March. I blogged about this on my blog thinking maybe one or 2 others may join us and lots of girls indicated an interest so I decided to start this blog where we can all encourage each other to meet the goals set along the way....March 2010 -March 2011...........
2nd SAL ......well so many of the girls wanted to continue on with another project and some new girls joined us and now approx 91 girls are stitching Natalie Bird's Tis the Season. March to Sept 2011...............
3rd SAL....many girls want to stick with the SAL so now we have moved onto Anni Downs Some Kind of Wonderful - My Favourite Things Quilt.......Oct 2011-Oct 2012.........
Where are we now.....
4th SAL 2013...is numerous smaller projects from the previous 2 books Tis the Season and Some Kind of Wonderful plus some projects from Red Home by Natalie Bird approx 60 ladies stitching together.........
2014 we had the year off..............
5th SAL 2015..........inspired to continue we are doing another quilt project.....Anni Downs newest quilt Natures Journey.....
6th SAL 2017.............A Holly Cottage Christmas by Michelle Ridgway.......once again the pattern is in an affordable book so it is easy for everyone to join in...........and you can raid your stash for the fabrics........or lash out and buy a the whole lot........this SAL will be run by Fiona aka Bubz Rugz and Raewyn........
Chookyblue........

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

SKoW Update

I need to apologise from the onset of this post, for letting down the team.  I have not been able to complete the top, let alone my version of this amazing quilt.  I am so sorry for letting you all down, and I am truly sorry that this will be a contributing factor if Chooky decides not to begin another SAL - I have enjoyed seeing the progress of each participant in this SAL, and will miss watching them grow if this is the case.  I DO however pledge that I will continue with this quilt - and my goal, however extreme, is to have it done by the end of November.  I am determined to commit to working on this for at least a couple of hours each evening, in order to achieve this goal.

So, I believe that an update on where I'm at is in order.

I spent an evening printing out copies of all of the remaining pages in triplicate, saving one as a frame-of-reference for the stitchery elements (as I have no lightbox as yet, I am relying on sunlight, windows & masking tape to line up everything 'just so') ...


the other copies were used to cut up the different appliqué elements, and then laminated.
I have left them uncut at the moment, ready to separate as needed.  I then keep all the pieces for each block separated in their own ziplock baggies.


I have only been able to complete three new blocks since I last updated.  
I am using the needle-turn appliqué method ... which has contributed to making this process long.


My daisy [Jan] ...


My chocolates - yum [Jan]!  
I chose to use a silver sparkly metallic thread for the stitching on four of these chocs, just to make them look even more extra yummy!!!


My ice-cream [Feb].


My hot chocolate block is prepped and ready for it's needle turn and stitchery - tonight's task!!


And all my finished blocks together ... I still have one block left of December (since I decided to change the cupcakes to pavlova ... I have finally found a pic for this, and will also be prepping this tonight, along with all the July & Aug blocks).


I even have my pellon all cut and ready to size for all my remaining 17 blocks.  And some squares for the strips - though only creams have been cut as yet.  Although I did start with one range of fabrics, I have started adding others ... and with my perfectionist streak on overdrive, I want need to make sure I include some of each fabric in the coloured blocks.  As a result, I am leaving this until after I have finished the blocks - or at least until I have finished the first two rows.


So, that's where I'm at.  I truly do hope that another SAL quilt is going to be chosen, but I also realise how hard it must be for Chooky to encourage everyone to stay on-plan.  I am so sorry to have fallen so far behind - but yes, I will get there!!  My next uni course begins in December, and I have decided that I want this quilt finished before I start my studies!!

Keep up the good work ladies - I truly *LOVE* watching the progress each of you has been making, even if I haven't been the best of commenters.

4 comments:

Theresa said...

Your blocks are looking lovely. If you keep working away you'll be done sooner than you know - the needleturn is worth all the work.

Larissa said...

Thankyou Theresa!! I'm *really* wanting to finish this one!!! ... And yes, I much prefer the delicacy needle turn gives to the overall look - which is probably why I have decided to go the root of sucker-for-punishment!! LOL!

Chookyblue...... said...

your blocks look great..........don't give up........if you could make a Nov deadline that would be fantastic.....I tell you if you start to join some up you really get motivation.....goodluck on finishing before you start Uni.......

Susan said...

Larissa - your blocks look wonderful and its great to see what you have done - good luck with your November deadline - Gosh I cant imagine a Uni course starting in December - so glad that is well behind me.